Cosmos Bldg, 136 South Main, ca. 1975
1000 South Main, ca 1975
322 South Main
RESTORATION HISTORY - Page 2
By the 90's we observe that the image of St. Charles was centered on the historic character of our residences, buildings, and businesses. They became the foundation of the maturing Visitor and Convention industry and represented the entrepreneurial spirit of our citizens. Numerous chapters of the Zoning Ordinance rewritten, updated and adopted in 1998 are committed to guiding the recognition, preservation, restoration, and new development in and near our Historic Districts. The Comprehensive Plan of 2002 reinforces these guidelines, citing as part of the Vision Statement "The long-term growth and quality of life shall be guided by these principals - to preserve and enhance our rich historical heritage...which establish St. Charles as one of America’s most liveable communities."
In 1999, the City committed to being an active partner in the Federal Historic Preservation Program, accepting responsibilities to continue preservation projects, and it was named a Certified Local Government. New preservation funding sources and federal and state tax credit incentives became available along with access to expert technical advice of partner agencies.
The 200 year anniversary celebration of Lewis and Clark’s Expedition to the West brought additional National Recognition to St. Charles in 2004. Boone’sLick Road’s significance in the westward expansion from the period of trappers, stagecoaches, and the Lewis and Clark expedition is well established. The publically financed improvements to Boone’s Lick Corridor highlight this entrance to the historic districts.
Read more .. << previous - next >>