©2008 Historic Downtown Association-St. Charles
101 South Main
1886, H. C. Bode, Builder
The two-story brick Market House at this location had outdoor scales, indoor stalls for selling meat and produce and a public bulletin board. City offices later occupied the second floor. The present building facade reflects changes to the structure in 1886 by builder H. C. Bode. It served as City Hall until 1976 when new facilities were built at Second and Monroe Streets and continued to house the St. Charles Police Department for several years. Still owned by the City of St. Charles, this has been home to the St. Charles County Historical Society archives center and museum since 1982.
Originally called "Les Petites Cotes", The Little Hills, St. Charles was founded in 1769 by Louis Blanchette, a French Canadian fur trapper. The village was incorporated as a City in 1809. Missouri became a state in 1821 and its legislators met one block south of here from June 4, 1821 through October 1, 1826. St. Charles is proud to have been the First State Capitol of the State of Missouri.