©2008 Historic Downtown Association-St. Charles
122 North Main Street
A young German cabinetmaker, George Baumann, began operation of his cabinet shop in this building which he built before the Civil War. Albin Morgner became the owner in 1875, and the building remained in his family holdings until 1922. St Charles Steam Laundry used this property from 1906 to 1910 under Messieurs Prongue & Jacobs, as "two of the businessmen of this city whose effort and attention to business has accomplished something for the cleanliness of the people, and thus themselves". For seventy years following the Laundry, a barbershop at this location provided grooming for several generations of St. Charles gentlemen. During the 1930's the Steam Laundry operated from 400-402 South Main later moving to 830 South Main.