©2008 Historic Downtown Association-St. Charles
132-136 North Main
1865, George Becker
Here two two-story brick buildings, joined with a center "hall between for common use", were built by George Becker in 1865. John and Anderson Wolf paid $42 a month rent for the north side "cellar to attic" and established a saloon in 1866. The first floor of the south half, including the hall was leased to a gunsmith.
For the next one hundred years a saloon operated here. Missouri Dawson, daughter of Becker and heir to the property, rented both buildings to her brother-in-law, Charles Runge, for $55 a month. By 1903, Billy Schulte's new Billiard Hall was open. William Schulte, Saloonkeeper, purchased the buildings in 1924. A bowling alley was added to the rear and the 'saloon' business continued at this site until the early 1970's.