©2008 Historic Downtown Association-St. Charles
142 North Main
1862, August Marten
James Chauvin sold a house and lot on this site to August Marten in 1862. He paid $1476 for the property, built the building we see here and sold it in 1866 to Henry Hensick for $8250. Mr. Hensick became bankrupted in the economic turmoil which followed the Civil War. Henry Linnemann was the highest bidder at the auction in 1876 and became the owner for the payment of $5310. He operated his farm implement store for about twenty five years. The building later housed Weil Shoe Mart and Braufman Clothing and continued in the Linnemann family ownership until 1957.