Preservation Journal

1001 South


The main structure was built in 1821 or earlier. Several additions were later added. A hostelry was maintained on the lower floor with residences on the upper levels. The Western House was popular in 1835 during the days of the covered wagon treks. A large stable and wagon yard were located in the rear and to the south of the existing building. At that time the establishment was conducted by a Mr. Bliss. The Western House provided excellent care to oxen, horses and cattle. Mr. Bliss eventually added a blacksmith shop to provide for care and repair of equipment. The Western House maintained its popularity although it was known to be a very rough stopping place for women and children. (Booker & Associates)

Document: Booker & Assoc, Redevelopment >>


Year Built: 1821 or Earlier
1001 South Main Street
Known as
The Western House

  • Western-House229
  • WestHse297
  • WestHse299
  • 1001S432
  • WestHse302
    This building was located to the rear of the Western House, torn down during the restoration of the Western House. Archie Scott Collection
  • WestHse303
  • Western House
  • Ad284