Preservation Journal
119 South

Year Built: 1903 (assessor)
1840/1909 (Pitman/Whetzel research)
119 South Main Street
Old Courthouse/Post Office

Post Office, after 1905. The old Post Office occupies the site of the second courthouse which served the county between 1848 and 1904. Looking west at the corner of Jefferson and South Main, to Second Street, the new County Courthouse (1904) can be seen with its copper dome atop the hill. The courthouse on South Main sustained some damage during a 'hurricane' on February 26, 1876. The bank and concert hall next door were destroyed during the tornado and on the site was built the three story Odd Fellows Hall. (Carolyn Whetzel)